The Application is: CLOSED.
Check the status of your Application.
Listen to this radio news story to learn more about Pat’s story and hear from Director of Programs Hunter I Riley for insight into the selection process.
Find further information on eligibility and direction on how to prepare your application below.
Who is eligible to apply to become a Tillman Military Scholar?
- Veteran and active duty military servicemembers
- Of both pre- and post-9/11 service
- From all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, including service in the National Guard and Reserve
- Spouses of active or veteran servicemembers
- Including surviving spouses
- Servicemember or spouse seeking assistance to pursue an undergraduate (Bachelor’s or above), graduate or post-graduate degree as a full-time student at a public or private, U.S.-based accredited institution
Members of each class of Tillman Military Scholars represent a rich and diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and ambitions, and were selected based on strong leadership potential and a drive to make a positive impact on others through service.
What specific criteria will be considered for selecting Tillman Military Scholars?
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of military service (or service as a spouse); motivation for serving
- Record of personal achievement
- Demonstration of service to others in the community
- Desire to continue to serve others and make a positive impact on your community
- Leadership potential
- Compelling, thoughtful, genuine and thorough essay question responses
Necessary Preparation and Required Documents
Before starting the application, first visit the Scholar Map to meet Current and Network Tillman Military Scholars – the community you will join if selected. Also, take a careful look at the other benefits and expectations.
In order to best prepare for completing the application in a timely manner, please have the following information available to consult during this process: basic contact information, military service history, educational history and enrollment plans and expected academic/living expenses and income for the upcoming academic year.
The application will require responses to two (2) essay questions. Prepare your responses now and copy and paste them into the online application. Each response must be no more than 400 words.
The following documents will need to be uploaded in a digital (soft copy) file format:
- Documentation of military service (only DD214 or a personal service record, i.e. Officer Record Brief, Enlistment Record Brief, Basic Individual Record, Personal Data Record, Performance Summary Record, Report on Individual Personnel will be accepted)
- Résumé (including education, work, public service history, recognitions and awards earned)
All Tillman Military Scholar applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for funding.
In addition to the documents requested above, applicants who move on in the process will be notified and asked to provide the following:
- Financial aid award letter from institution
- Student Aid Report (SAR), summary from the FAFSA website
- Photo highlighting your or your spouse’s military service
Annual funding renewability will be considered for most Scholars based on expected graduation date, proof of full-time student status, minimum 3.0 GPA earned, Tillman Community engagement (virtually and in-person), documented participation in service, accountability for use of scholarship funds and completion of Foundation surveys.
All criteria must be met in order to be renewed. Review of renewal status is conducted each June by the Pat Tillman Foundation.
Tillman Military Scholars are expected to maintain full-time enrollment in a U.S. accredited institution unless they are assuming part-time status during the semester they will graduate.
Scholarship funding can only be used toward a single post-secondary degree.
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
If you cannot find an answer to your question, e-mail email@example.com.